- Mac OS X
Mac port of Racer looks quite the same as the other ports. And v0.5.0 introduces
Version v0.5.0 final for Mac is available. However, it's from
2005, so try a much better beta version to enjoy the
latest cars & tracks.
- Mac OS X 10.2.9+ (10.1.x may work, but isn't tested, since
Racer now uses force feedback).
Note that Mac OS 9 will NOT be supported (it's not Unix).
- A 3D card. Software rendering is not fast enough. A nice
3D card also helps, something like a Radeon9700 or up.
Download the file:
v0.5.0 (10Mb, thanks to Darren M. Kulp for the webspace)
Installation is an easy drag & drop process:
- Double-click the downloaded Racer050.dmg file; a volume is
now created in /Volumes.
- Double-click the new volume that appeared on the desktop,
or in the Finder, go to 'Computer' -> Volumes -> Racer.
- Either double-click the Racer application icon here, or drag
& drop all files into a directory on your system (which is faster) and
run Racer from there.
The Mac port has a few known problems:
- No applications other than Racer itself are ported yet; some
issues with dual double buffered windows prevent it from running nicely yet.
- The controller setup screen doesn't work. This is due to
the way controllers are presented on Mac; by vendor & product id.
Note that all Racer platforms use binary compatible files. So
a directory of a car on one platform should work on another. Get zip files for
any cars and make sure the files go into data/cars/<newcar>.
November 13, 2012